New Release: X-Craft British Minisub
Buy the X-Craft British Minisub by March 27th and get free shipping on your entire order*
*Within the USA free shipping means delivery by the United States Postal Service using First Class Mail (packages up to 8 ounces) and Priority Mail (packages over 8 ounces). Select Countries: Free Economy Mail delivery (4-8 weeks) is also being offered to Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Luxemburg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United Kingdom.
About the X-Craft British Minisub:
The X-Craft was a WWII midget submarine class built for the Royal Navy during 1943-1944. Known individually as X-Craft, the vessels were designed to be towed to their intended area of operations by a full-size ‘mother’ submarine with a passage crew on board. Once the attack was over, the X-Craft would rendezvous with the towing submarine and then be towed home. Range was limited primarily by the endurance and determination of their crews, but was thought to be up to 14 days in the craft or 1,500 miles.
This specific variant was deployed during September 1943’s Operation Source to neutralize the heavy German warships based in Northern Norway. Six X-craft were used, but only two successfully laid charges; the rest were lost, scuttled or returned to base. This was the only multiple X-craft attack. X-Craft made additional attacks on German targets in Norway and helped survey the beaches for the Allied landings at Normandy. The remains of two XT-class craft are present on the beach at Aberlady Bay in East Lothian, Scotland. One X24 is available to view at the Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport in the United Kingdom.
- Operators: Royal Navy
- Crew: 4
- Type: Midget submarine
- Displacement: 27 tons surfaced; 30 tons submerged
- Length: 51.25 ft
- Propulsion: Single shaft; 1 x Gardner 4LK 4-cyl diesel engine, 42 hp at 1,800 rpm; 1 x Keith Blackman electric motor, 30 hp at 1,650 rpm
- Speed: 6.5 knots surfaced; 5.5 knots submerged
- Range: 500 nmi surfaced; 82 nmi at 2 knots (2 mph) submerged
- Test depth: 300 ft
- Complement: 4
- Armament: 2 x 4,400 lb detachable amatol charges
Additional information about this Brickmania custom building kit:
The X-Class British Minisub comes with the following features:
- Full hull details including posable dive planes and rudder, two opening hatches, retractable periscope and snorkel mast.
- Removable side charge reveals detailed interior with crew stations and engine room
- Four custom-printed WWII British submariners
- Premium vinyl sticker sheet
- Designed by Daniel Siskind
- Sturdy display stand
- 1/35 scale to match other Brickmania models.
- Includes 985 genuine new-condition LEGO® bricks and BrickArms® elements
- Advanced Skill Level (4-6 years of experience with LEGO is recommended)
All Brickmania model kits are made of new-condition LEGO bricks. This model comes disassembled and includes complete printed building instructions and comes packaged in a sealed box. This is a limited edition kit and production may be discontinued at any time.