New Release: Sherman Vc Firefly
Buy the Sherman Firefly Vc by March 6th and get free shipping on your entire order*
*Within the USA free shipping means delivery by the United States Postal Service using First Class Mail (packages up to 8 ounces) and Priority Mail (packages over 8 ounces). Select Countries: Free Economy Mail delivery (4-8 weeks) is also being offered to Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Japan, Luxemburg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United Kingdom.
About the Sherman Firefly Vc:
The Sherman Firefly was a tank used by the Commonwealth in the United Kingdom and Allied armored formations in WWII. It was based on the US M4 Sherman but fitted with the powerful 3-inch caliber British 17 pounder anti-tank gun as its main weapon. Originally conceived as a stopgap until future British tank designs came into service, the Sherman Firefly became the most common vehicle mounting the 17 pounder in the war. After the difficult problem of getting the gun to fit in the Sherman’s turret was solved (by W.G.K Kilboun, a Vickers engineer), the Firefly was put into production in early 1944. It soon became highly valued as the only British tank capable of defeating the Panther and Tiger tanks it faced in Normandy at standard combat ranges. In recognition of this, German tank and anti-gun crews were instructed to attack Fireflies first.
The Sherman VC and IC variants are easily distinguished by their lower hulls; the VC having a rivet hull with a curved shape, while the IC has a welded and angled lower hull. Despite being a high priority target, Fireflies appear to have had a statistically lower chance of being knocked out than the standard Sherman. This was probably due more to how they were employed than actual effectiveness of the attempted camouflaging of the long barrel. The nickname “Firefly” is not found in wartime official documents, but was adopted due to the bright muzzle flash of the main gun.
- Type: Medium tank
- Units built: ~2,000
- Weight: 34.75 long tons
- Crew: 4 (commander, gunner, loader/radio-operator, and driver)
- Armor: 89 mm (turret front)
- Main armament: QF 17 pounder with 77 rounds
- Secondary armament: Flexible .50 in Browning M2 machine gun (generally not mounted); coaxial .30 in Browning M1919 machine gun with 5,000 rounds
- Engine: Multibank or radial engine; petrol engine (depending on chassis used); 425 hp
- Suspension: Vertical volute coil spring
- Operational range: 120 mi
- Speed: 20 mph sustained; 25 mph at bursts
Additional information about this Brickmania custom building kit:
The Sherman Firefly Vc comes with the following features:
- Completely redesigned M4A4 Sherman hull with working suspension and fully articulated Brickmania Track Links
- Fully posable main gun and knob to control turret rotation from the rear of the tank
- Includes premium vinyl sticker sheet with authentic British Firefly markings
- Four opening crew hatches with Tank Commander custom minifig included.
- 1/35 scale to match other Brickmania models.
- Includes 635 genuine new-condition LEGO® bricks and BrickArms® elements
- Advanced Skill Level (6-8 years experience with LEGO is recommended)
All Brickmania model kits are made of new-condition LEGO bricks. This model comes disassembled and includes complete printed building instructions and comes packaged in a sealed box. This is a limited edition kit and production may be discontinued at any time.